Friday, May 2, 2008

Last Man Standing


I am the last man standing. Waiting, with my heart pounding in my shirt in this stand off with the flu. I wait in the fog, my over washed & cracked hands clinging tightly to Lysol spray & Clorox wipes.

It started on Monday: Sweet Prince Jack was sick! It's his first time ever with the flu... It broke my heart. He continued to be such a good sport. When I put him to bed Monday evening, after changing his sheets for the fourth time that day, I put my hand on his head & began to pray to our LORD to heal my prince quickly & give us all the endurance to make it through this messy day. In the midst of my prayer, Jack begins to thank his LORD for his friends: Noah, Amy... What a sweet lesson!

Then Princess Emma got hit Tuesday (Wow, Mom! That time when I vomited, I didn't even get it on my pajama's!). And Roy on Wednesday, followed by Jack again Wednesday afternoon. We finally had to take Jack into the pediatric clinic Wednesday night for fear of dehydration. Roy & Emma have gotten over the sickness, but Jack continues to battle it.

My washing machine seems to be constantly running and my hallway is filled with piles of sorted laundry. Our nights consist of small naps here & there. Our Dial soap is actually running low from constantly washing our hands. The neglected floor is covered in dust & Cooper's hair.

Throughout the week, thoughts of the scene from Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood flash through my head: Vivi has been wakened by her daughter Sidda, to discover that every child in the home is covered in vomit & fecal matter. Vivi is outraged that her husband is not home to help with the putrid mess. On the contrary, this week, has been so edifying to my family. This disgusting week has proved to be one of our finest, pulling together with support, love & clean up duty. (I am also convinced by this week that the Dugger family must have a quarantine room for the ill!)

This week has marked the first night in Jerrolds history, our entire family crammed into Roy's & my bedroom- Will tented in a sheet over his pack and play, with the humidifier; Emma sleeps in a bed of couch cushions on the floor, speaking in "whale"; Jack lays between us in our bed, his fetish with hair, pulling out my mine by the handfuls; Cooper whines most of the early night due to neglect from most of the week. But they are precious moments...

As bad as this week got, we actually were able to spend some great quality time together as a family. We watched Finding Nemo & Toy Story 2 over and over. We cuddled together on the couch. We looked at the growth of our garden fruits & vegetables. We ate popsicles in a tent set up outside. We spent less money, ran around less, wore pajamas and sweats, with our hair unkempt.

I may be the last man standing here, but I have the support of my posse and that makes me a proud wife & momma!

0 comments: