We are driving down the 5, Finding Nemo, playing repeatedly in the backseat for Emma & Jack. The music from the movie is fluid and it stirs nostalgia. It's perfect. Emma repeats all the words to Nemo. Will keeps squealing with joy. He loves getting Jack to laugh. Jack starts to kick at the DVD player. The chapter on the movie skips back. Emma repeats the same line again. Jack kicks again. She starts to whine, pleading with him to stop. (Good feeling gone!)
We've been up since 5, packing up before the kids see the loaded truck. I awake Emma at 6. She immediately crawls out of bed asking for her toy iguana & informing me how she handles her morning eye boogers. Jack is slower to rise. He rubs his eyes, stretches continually and curls himself into my lap without mumbling a word. They have no idea (well, how could Will or Jack?) that we are on the way to Disneyland! (I must say I may be more excited! Celebrating my birthday this week, I warned Roy that he better not be pulling a quick one on me & going somewhere else, other than Disneyland!)
After eating lunch with the So Cal Smoaks (after we had traveled most of the 5 & through the arduous Grapevine), Emma asks where we are off too. She begs to see her special Joanney. I ask her if it's ok to visit her Uncle Papa & Aunt Grammy, who live in Orange County. But it's so far away! she whines. (Where does she think we have been driving to the past many hours? And why???) After we convince her we are close, she agrees & is very excited! Still, she remains clueless. But she is excited, nonetheless! She has informed the truck passengers that she has just tooted out her butt-crack.
So now the blessings are quiet, in foreign, but comfy beds, made with love. Emma anticipates seeing Auntie Grammy & Uncle Papa tomorrow. Roy & I look forward to be able to continue to surprise them...
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Just keep swimming...
Posted by The Jerrolds Family at 8:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
HOW FUN! I remember when my parents suprised us and took us to Dinseyland, so much fun! Hope they are really excited and that you have a great birthday!
I love the way you wrote these posts! I can totally feel your excitement.
My parents used to keep the trips a secret too (probably so we wouldn't ask a million times "is today the day??") and they would get us up around 4am and stick us in the car, with pillows and all... we'd start the drive and halfway down the 5 I can remember asking "Are we going to Disneyland??!" Such fun memories.
I bet you were also thankful for the DVD player IN the car. We love ours for long trips.
Post a Comment