Friday, May 16, 2008

Craftiness

I am not crafty or creative. I have never claimed to be. I liked (past tense) to scrapbook pre-multiple children in my life. Even then, my pages were simple & usually consisted of someone else's crafty ideas.

Lately, I have been inspired to do more crafty sorts of things with the kids. My girlfriend's sister has a blog page where I found two great books that really help out the layperson like myself... (Her website is plumpudding- check it out when you get some time.) The Toddler's Busy Book & The Preschooler's Busy Book contain quick & easy crafts you can do with supplies usually found at your home. I was able to purchase them off of amazon.com for around $3 each.

Between these books and other idea's I see on Megan's page, I feel we get more family quality time together, as well as allow my kids to be creative in alternative ways. Sitting down with my children and working on our projects actually slow me down and inspire me to leave the clothes unfolded and the dishes dirty. Jack actually now goes over to the craft cupboard (YES! I have one now!) and begs to paint! My home remains messy today, but it is a pleasure to sit down with Emma & Jack and make mad creative messes together! So here is a great picture of one of first attempts at this venture. We made Grandma's candy from Megan's recipe. Emma loved making it, eating it, and sharing it with her girlfriend.

3 comments:

Stef said...

very cool! I'm not crafty either (at all) and so stuff like this is so helpful for me. Ethan and I are going to make homemade bird feeders next week and I'm excited about that. So simple and yet for his age, it will be just complex enough. :)

thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

Heather, we started making Grandma's Wholesome Candy when
Megan & Amy were little. I love the way you made peanut-butter people out of it!

The Rhode House said...

And Kaitlyn thanks you for Grandma's candy...she loved it! Thanks for sharing your special treats with us!!