Monday, March 31, 2008

Routine

We eat Taco Bell in the truck, because it's quick, easy, fun, semi-healthy, and because I can't go home due to an indulgence I care not to reveal publicly. Emma is serving Jack bits of quesidilla in between bites of chips and beans. She has stepped in beans and is quick to give me her dirty sock. Jack keeps returning his chip for double dips into the warm nacho cheese. His quesidilla lays in his lap, crumpled like an old piece of paper.

We are parked in front of Emmie's school and I plead with Emma to show me Isaac. He has her heart. Well, at least on school days. This weekend she announced that she has two boyfriends- Zach & Isaac. (She has also announced this information to Zach, over their dinner shortly after they have hugged and declared their boyfriend/girlfriend status. He doesn't seem to mind. In fact, he has three girlfriends.) Neither Zach nor Emma can tell us what it means to have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Good.

Isaac hasn't arrived yet, but it's time for Emma to go sign in. She kisses her brothers goodbye. Jack laughs. He has smeared pintos & cheese all over his perfect face. He smiles through the beans. I open the front door to let Emma out of the truck. Goldfish spill into the gutter from the floorboard.

I check Emma in. Her teacher has notified us that this week are kindergarten assessments. Emma is oblivious to the pending testing doom: Isaac has arrived. She is not ashamed of her affections. She is quick and loud to point him out; he is standing a foot in front of her. She walks to her class with the boy who has taken my daughter's heart for the hour.

The boys and I drive home. Will has talked himself to sleep and has missed an opportunity to question the boy about intentions with his sister. Jack is still smothered in beans. Cheep, Momm-ee. Dip. Dip. I pass Jack a chip at his request. His head is cocked 45 degrees to the side and he smiles the cheesiest beaniest grin, perfect teeth shining through the mess, eyes closed. I laugh loud. He has caught me off guard and immediately stolen my heart. He laughs and grins again, at least 15 more times, each time with eyes glued shut and crows feet forming.

We are home. The house is quiet. Jack is changed, the castaway chips banished from his jeans. Both he & Will rest quietly. I alone with my thoughts, cherishing even the typical day's fleeting moments.

1 comments:

Stef said...

Heather, I love the way you blog! Its like reading a good novel, for moms.

I had so much fun seeing you at the park today... and you finally met my mom!
See you Wednesday,
Stef