Sunday, March 23, 2008

A child's mind never rests, unlike mine.

Tonight during Emma's normal bedtime ritual of reading books and singing songs she asked me a couple of deep questions that required me to think quickly which in my current state of exhausted post Easter gluttony was rather difficult. "Dad, how do we celebrate Easter?" I believe this question was brought on by the fact that Heather and I have tried to instill in her that Easter is in fact about the resurrection of Jesus Christ, not the idea of a freakishly large rabbit dropping off baskets full teeth rotting goodies not supported by the American Dental Association . I proceeded to explain we go to church and there is a sermon about the death and resurrection of Christ and then we celebrate by coming together with family and friends thanking God for his gift to us and of course eating a ridiculous amount of food over the better half of the afternoon. Mind you at this point I have been laying on my daughters bed for over 10 minutes and for those who know me I can fall asleep in under a minute at any given time when I'm tired, therefore my eyes were glossed over and the dark was closing in around me when; "Dad why do you love me?" After realizing what she asked I responded very intelligently with "What?" "What do you mean why do I love you?" I figured I could use the active listening technique of re-asking her the question she just asked me in order to wake up and not miss this great opportunity with a stupid answer. I was able to explain she is a gift from God to Heather and I. I told her since God blessed us with her we must cherish her as a gift and raise her to know who Jesus is. I also told her she is an amazing little girl and an absolute joy to be with and to love her just comes naturally. I gave her another kiss and told her I love her. Thank you God for the blessing of my wonderful children.

0 comments: