It's was one of those trips again... It started out well, loading up Emma & Jack in the basket of the cart at Target, and sitting Will up in the front. They were so sweet, huddled together, playing I Spy, looking for their best buddy, Noah, in the store. I got them popcorn & slurpees to sustain them for the duration of the shopping trip, but slowly (ever so slowly) the demeanor of the group seemed to slide downhill. Jack was really pushing his bad guy image. Emma was really starting to perfect her art of whine.
When it came time to check out, Jack continued just to be, well... Jack! He continued to grab at the conveyor belt. Emma continued to whine! I turned around and locked eyes with a fellow mom. Good- I see support, comradeship. We link eyes, and I feel her feel me & understand my frustrations. I grab the divider that Jack continues to mess with, after being warned many times to STOP! and, with his back turned to me, I pretend to hit him repeatedly over the head while I am watching my newfound ally. Jack & Emma continue their banter back and forth and something prompts Jack to verbally fight back. Whine for whine, right? The gentleman in the line over takes pity on my poor distressed son, just as the mother behind me, my chum, my companion, states (with her very sedated son in the basket of her cart) that that is why she only has one kid... What??? Et tu, Brute? I ponder while I feel a sharp pain emerge in my back. How dare you!!!
I will be the first to admit: My children have made me mentally insane. But there is so much joy that comes from raising these hoodlums. Does my pal know how Jack may claim to be a bad guy, but kisses every member of his family, tenderly, after praying for each of them at night? Or how Emma, whine as she may, took all morning at church to befriend and make a new child feel welcome?
There are many days, like this afternoon, where my family is misrepresented but regardless- my children are gifts, the most precious gifts from my Father in Heaven. I may make a big scene at the store or restaurant, when my children & I are just trying to figure the day out. I may run crazy after Jack while he runs down the street laughing insanely. I may make Emma cry at the tone of my very frustrated voice. And I may be currently & continue to be contributing to the overpopulation of this earth. But I cling to the verse from Psalm 127:3 that each of my children are a "reward" from my LORD. (And I will have as many as my Lord says...) They are my most precious, most cherished gifts.
Psalm 127:3 NIV
4 comments:
Heather,
I have had many of these moments, but in Walmart. Targee is too expensiive for us Hick Texans! As frustrating as it sometimes is, life would be so boring with out ALL of the blessings!
Angela Stevens
"my children have made me mentally insane"
that sums it up for me! :) Exactly how I feel on so many days.
we miss you guys :(
this post continues to encourage me. I find that when I'm out in public I can so easily be discouraged by people's rude looks and often times, rude comments. I find myself SO often wanting to turn around and say "good thing YOUR mom didn't have the same attitude toward you that you have toward other kids."
I'm also sick of the question "why are you having more?" I might hit the next person that asks me that. :)
Unfortunately people these days are viewing children all the wrong way - they view them as "trophies, things that make them continually look good and children that should only bring compliments and nothing else."
I do get so annoyed with that attitude.
I can't wait to see ALL the blessings (and even character building trials) that God brings along with each child He gives life to in our family.
I totally agree with you Heather! They are our most precious blessings! Thanks for sharing- I have those Target moments too. :)
Post a Comment