I had my feelings hurt tonight by a stranger. Not uncommon for me, as I can get offended by a bad driver. But this time, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up in anger.
We are dining at a local Thai restaurant. I love taking my blessings out to try different ethnic foods and it has always been rewarding. Tonight the blessings are their usual selves- impulsive, giggly, playful... children. We get our usual stares from a group of two middle-aged women. But this time, they are more vocal about the presence of our children. They ask for their food to go, drawing attention to themselves, all while indicating that it is way too loud in restaurant.
Although my children are normal children, they are not unruly and disrespectful. How can they ever know that my Emma is so clever and brave, she will fight criminals by putting her fingers up her nose and blowing? And although, Jack's favorite word may be currently booty butt, he loves His God. He will sit later in the evening, begging to hear Mighty to Save, boldly singing the words: Savior, He can move the mountains, My GOD is mighty to Save... Will, despite that he is vocal about his wants, he can nurse a smile from anyone with his new-found sly looks.
Every morning of the week, we gather as a family of five to spend time at the throne of our Lord. We pray together, the blessings as much as Roy & I. We sing together praises to our King. We learn and recite His Word together.
These are my children. They may cause heads to turn, may turn a quiet evening into an unruly night, may be loud and playful, and may use inappropriate language at times. But, they are children. Children who love and seek after our God already. I am overwhelmingly impressed with the servants they are becoming.
"Let these children alone. Don't get between them and me. These children are the kingdom's pride and joy. Luke 18:16
5 comments:
Aw Heath, that makes my heart ache. It's situations like those where you have to know that SOMETHING is going on with those women. Maybe they never had kids...and it hurts, or maybe they DID have kids and yet they've forgotten how vulnerable you feel as the momma of little ones. It stinks.....to have to confront ingnorance....especially when the rudness of THOSE WOMEN outweighs ANYTHING that a child could do.....
You are loving those babies and can rest in the knowledge that they'll SHINE Christ....and never treat anyone like you were treated today!
Whew....that got me fired UP!
i used to feel ashamed as well when the kids would make too much noise when we were out to eat...but as you once pointed out to me when you go out, you will run into many different types of people, including little children. i'm embarrassed for these ladies...too bad they were able to enjoy the sweet children's many different abilities to make others feel special!
they are sweet sweet babies, who will always be loved when they are out with the ones who they are with!
love,
auntie
Amen Heather! And I'm so glad to know that its not just MY kids that get stares and comments. I always want to walk up to those people and say "you were little once too, ya know!" They're very ignorant and don't know what they're missing. I feel sad for the women that didn't enjoy these years when their kids were passing through them.
Loved this post!
I second what your Auntie said! It is sad when people you don't know, or even people you do know, make you feel bad for how your kids behave...they don't see the beauty that's inside or the love & the joy that causes all the giggles and silliness.
This is awesome! I know you don't know me. My husband and I are missionaries to El Salvador and we have a blog here on blogspot, too. I decided to click the link up at the top of the navigation bar that says "Next blog" and came across yours. It's awesome to see parents raising their children to be godly and know that the Lord is already moving in and through them. Pay no attention to what others say because like you said, they don't know your children and probably never will. I just wanted to encourage you today!
Post a Comment