In the last two days, Jack's head has changed dramatically. Yesterday, he awoke with a full head of hair. Hair that was so perfect and thick, sculpting a perfect faux-hawk was effortless. As the day wore on, it also unwound. Roy loaded up (moody) Jack & (crabby) Will, in a feeble attempt to go to Home Depot for some, well, Home Depot things. The perfect piece of bubble gum in Jack's mouth, apparently, became the perfect hair accessory. The truck veered quickly toward the barber shop, where the time was spent with razors and clippers, instead of measuring tape and wood.
Later, the entire house reeks with continual chaotic fits. Jack is sitting with his newly shaved head, shirtless, hands stuffed in his sweats, lounging back on the couch like a seasoned couch potato. All three children have made a day of complaining and whining, Will seasoned in the art, just as much as Emma and Jack.
A new day, a new morning rises and the outlook is good. Our family gathers for prayer. Emma asks to pray. She praises her God for creating her family. She boasts to Him that she loves us "so much." She thanks Him for being The Creator. And she doesn't forget to give thanks for His help.
Jack follows, thanking his God for all of his friends and his God's help.
It is in this small moment, gathered in our small kitchen, that I realize the enormity of the moment. As confusing and horrible as yesterday may have been, my children's lives change every day. As much work as it is, the metamorphosis that occurs within each of us, is so important. We are all molding our lives daily to follow our God.
Jack's head will eventually take on a new form, when he bumps his head on the steps of the play structure at the park. This time the shape of his forehead will enlarge at least two inches long, and will swell to his nose. His head will look as though the front of his skull has been reshaped.
If you stare long enough outside, you will catch sight of butterflies. They are new to this life of flight, as my blessings will watch in awe. We know the butterfly had a significant journey to becoming this new creature. But the journey stops with new wings. He will never again change into anything new.
We, however, continue to metamorphose. My children will give me chaos one morning, causing me to raise my hands up in agony. Then, the next, they will turn to their Creator and thank Him for being. What a blessing to be part of.
2 Corinthians 5:17
7 comments:
Yay! A new post! :D I love how you wrote that...one day our hands are up and just done and the next we are reminded, by those little voices no less, how wonderful our God is! How sweet He is to use our kids to remind us of the good things :) I love how hearing Josiah pray for his friends reminds me how grateful I am for mine (all those mommies :).
P.S. Can't wait to see Jack's new "do"
The roller coaster - whiny one day, praising God the next - is the stuff of life. Being moody, whiny, grumpy, grouchy, obstinate doesn't go away with growing up. We just have better(?) excuses for acting that way. Chuck Swindoll wrote a number of years ago (and I paraphrase) that while you are in the middle of the child raising "chaotic fits" you wish for a modicum of order, peach and quiet. But, years later, when the kids leave, you find yourself missing the very thing you wanted to move or "grow" past. Such is life.
you posted a new blog...about time!!! i love jack!!! i'm glad through all the chaos there was a little comfort.
kisses to you and your whole family!!
love and miss you!!!
auntie
First, I've missed your posts. I'm glad you're back... sort of. This post was beautiful and its something I think about almost daily. Well yes, daily. Every time I find myself wishing my kids would grow up and stop needing me for every little thing. I stop and I hear God's voice saying "someday you'll wish you had these days back!" and then I know... its passing all too quickly. And the every day chaos isn't what's most important... its the every day blessings that are sometimes hidden, but often times so obvious we should really notice them more.
Stop and smell the roses. That's what an old lady told me the other day at the store. She said she was 101 years old and I asked her "what's your secret?!" she smiled, put her arm on my hand and said "I stopped long enough to smell the roses, at least once a day."
So simple....
Beautiful! I have been waiting for a new post and I am so glad to have read this. Absolutely beautiful!
I've been watching for a new post from you! Motherhood is so amazing. The ups & downs & constant. We know that there will always be the one constant in our lives, no matter what.
As trite as it sounds, it really is true....kids grow up so fast. It doesn't seem possible sometimes that things will ever change, but before you know it they are up and at them and gone. Kids are amazing reflections of God.
Post a Comment