Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ode to Roy

Dear Dr. Laura,

Yesterday, while waiting in the car of the grocery store parking lot, I witnessed something that made me so sad. A couple exited the store, the woman clearly at the end of her pregnancy. She was waddling to the car, carrying multiple bags of groceries, while her husband walked in front of her, empty handed. He quickly got into the car and closed the door, started the engine, while she still waddled to her side of the car. As he sped away, she was still putting on her safety belt.

This week in the midst of our church's Vacation Bible School, I came down with strep throat. Nasty! My husband, the valiant, willingly stepped in and took care of everything. Everything. While I slept the infection away for the past three days, Roy laundered the clothes, fed our three children, bathed them, shuttled some to VBS (as well as other children), played with them, colored with them, chased them, disciplined them, took care of my sick soul, and squeezed moments here and there to do his work (that pays the bills) from home.

After eight years of marriage, three small children later, my husband still treats me and our family like his most prized possession. I am his queen. He has absolutely ruined it for other men. He is the best. He is mine.

Sincerely,
Heather Jerrolds

2 comments:

Stef said...

Amen! I love posts that give good husbands the praise they deserve!! I'm sorry you were sick. :( I hope she reads this on her radio show. I think more women need to appreciate (even the small things) and quit focusing on all the reasons their husband isn't the most perfect. TV doesn't help of course. :-\
Hope you're well now!

Michelle said...

WE LOVE YOU ROY!!! Thank you for taking care of my beautiful friend and for loving her with all your heart. Love you all!