Thursday, October 2, 2008

October 2nd

She's been gone six years now and I can't say I am ever going to be over it. If you look close enough, you can still make out the scar that protects the deep wound. After she left, I sat at the window to the street, day after day, waiting her return. And she never did. The abandonment brought denial. The denial, pain & scorn. The scorn, anger. The anger, acceptance. The acceptance, forgiveness. And now, finally, with the forgiveness, healing.

For some time after she left, I ached so much, my heart broke. In her dismissal of this so-called friendship we shared, her selfishness finally brought me joy. It seems ironic. But when I surrendered to the pain of my loss, I was able to accept the many blessings that surrounded- they seemed to engulf me regardless if I wanted them to or not.

Today, I stand here watching my two oldest blessings squat and examine something close to the ground. They are so intent on examining and observing their new find. They squat and poke along side their very best friend; I get to stand and watch in peace next to one of mine. Had she not left, I would have never had the opportunity to form not one, but three beautiful friendships, all of which continually lift me up and point me to our Christ. Each of my sweet treasures encourages me, uplifts me, laughs with me in my successes, cries with me in my failures.

I still miss, will always miss her laughter. I will always be saddened that she will not, cannot ever enjoy my blessings and rejoice with me in their small lives. But my God works good in everything, even the bad. I take the pain, the healing. It spurs me to better things. My cup runneth over.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him,
who have been called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done,
the saving of many lives.
Genesis 50:20

5 comments:

Stef said...

praying for you today... I know God will continue taking that pain and turning it into joy. But the hurt is still there and so for that I'm sorry.
I love you and I'm praying for you.

Maritez said...

I hurt just reading your post. Friendships are SO important and when we become attached to people, it can hurt SO deep when they choose to end that relationship that we thought as so important.

But you are right, God brings good even when it hurts so bad. I am lucky to have met you, the joy you share each week at CBS is a blessing to me...and for that I am grateful.

Praying for you, friend.

wedogmomma said...

Wow Heather...I SO know that pain, still do in fact...so much so that I can't/won't try to put it all down here...but know that you're not alone in having people uproot and leaving you questioning...
And I also know, as you've stated there is So much joy in renewal!
You are an amazing woman and terrific mommy~
Surrounded by our Daddy's love!

Michelle said...

I re-read your blog and my eyes fill up with tears. Isn't it so fun to meet and then love the treasures God gives us. I thank God you got that job at Coffee Beans and Things so many years ago. You are a very special treasure to me 246! Love and miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

No matter how hard I try, I always feel some sense of remorse every October. You do not mourn alone.