It's taken at least an hour to get rid of my pounding headache this morning. The youngest of the blessings, who will affectionately be referred to as The Surprise for the duration of this blog, was up most of the evening, night, early morning screaming. His only comfort and solace was to nurse throughout the night, quite violently.
Later in the morning, I drive to my weekly Bible study, eager to just be there and learn. I am able to be renewed and refreshed every week. I gather there and I can be encouraged by women of wisdom. On the way, I pop in "Mommy's Song," also known as Sacred. My blessings know it almost by heart and sing it nearly perfect. This morning, again like the countless times I have relied on it before, it reminds me that My Father, the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY, has named me Keeper of these little ones. Wow! What a title. What a job. I am Keeper of even The Surprise... Emma asks to hear it again and again. I have to nearly bite the inside of my lip the third time. I can no longer sing along. I am overcome with emotion, as I listen: Everything is sacred... Everything I've dreamed of, has been right before my eyes...
During Bible study, Will, oops, The Surprise, sits clinging to my chest in his sling. He is cranky (you, think?) and restless. I know he needs sleep. I bounce. I stand. And then, I sing the song I have sung to him for almost a year now: Oh, how He loves you and me... He doses off quickly, breathing into me, snuggling close and secure in his Keeper's and His Father's warmth. How quickly I have forgotten that my sweet Surprise is sacred. He, along with Emma and Jack, is what I longed for when Roy and I were first married. How desperately I wanted to quickly expand our family. Of course, I didn't think about the headaches, the heartaches, the sleep deprivation, the insanity at the time- but would I have proceeded? Probably not. But I am here now. This is my life. And the Lord God Almighty has made me there Keeper for this short brief time while they are young. What a task! What an honor! I will cling to this title today.

7 comments:
Heather that was beautiful and funny and such a good reminder. Thanks!
How easily we can forget how sacred our little gifts are, especially when we are in desperate need of sleep and quiet time. Thank you for the reminder. Your "surprise" was sweet to listen to this morning as he was singing himself to sleep. What a sweet mommy he has to keep him so close all morning.
Wow! What a beautiful reminder of how sacred our children really are!
Angela Stevens
So so true and TOUGH to take in!
I hear it time and time again from more 'experienced' moms....this time is SO short and too soon we're finished pushing the trike and on to pushing the 'emergency' brake as they learn how to drive!
It's just crazy hectic when they are all so little and they need every last bit of you...NOW!
Press on momma...those beauties can see Jesus right through you!
Beautiful, sweet, vulnerable. I love the song too. What a blessing to have God break through your writers block, as you say, to post something that is a blessing to have been read by other moms.
yay, Heather finally blogged! :)
everything so true--a simple reminder for us all!
LOVED this post. The bottom picture is purely precious too. That one must be framed.
Post a Comment